The total population of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) across the world has been increasing steadily as most of the Indians started to migrate to different countries in search of job. Today, India is a leading country with its migrants all over the world, exposing their talents and skills in lifting the world economy. According to the Indian Government rule, it is mandatory for the taxpaying Indian residents to possess PAN card. Hence, Non -Resident Indians, in order to invest in stocks and to purchase property in India should possess PAN card.
Why is PAN card necessary for NRIs?
It is compulsory for NRIs to have PAN card in the following cases.
- If an NRI earns taxable income in India
- If an NRI wants to trade in share market
- If an NRI wants to invest in mutual funds
- If an NRI wants to purchase any property or land in India apart from trading
- If an NRI wishes to purchase any vehicle in India.
What are the documents required to apply for NRI PAN card?
In order to apply for PAN card, NRIs need to submit two recent passport size photograph and any one of the following documents as proof of identity and address.
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card provided by Govt. of India
- Copy of Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card provided by Govt. of India.
What are the guidelines for applying NRI PAN card in online?
- NRIs who are citizens of India should use Form 49A to apply for PAN.
- NRIs who are non-citizens of India should apply for PAN card using Form 49AA. But a Qualified Foreign Investor (QFI) can apply for PAN card only through Depository Participant.
- Necessary documents such as proof of identity, proof of address and proof of age should be attached with PAN application form.
- The fee for dispatch of physical PAN card in India is Rs. 107 whereas for dispatch of PAN card outside India is Rs. 1017.
- After successful payment, a downloadable acknowledgement receipt will be displayed through which applicants can track the status of their PAN application.
How to apply for NRI PAN card in online?
You can easily apply for NRI PAN card in online by following the simple steps given below.
Step 2: Scroll down the home page and click 'Apply for PAN Online'.
Step 3: On the next page, you will be provided with two application forms 49A and 49AA. Click 'Apply' under Form 49A if you are an Indian citizen.
Step 4: In the 'Apply Online' page, select your application type and category. Then enter your personal information and click 'Submit'
Step 5: Once you have submitted your details, a confirmation page with all your details will appear. Check whether the details entered are correct and if you want to change any details, just edit it and submit.
Step 6: Upload your Digital Sign Certificate and necessary documents such as proof of identity, address and date of birth.
Step 7: Make payment using credit card/ debit card/ net banking.
Step 8: Upon successful payment, an acknowledgement receipt will appear on the screen. Print it and paste your two recent passport size photographs in the space provided.
Step 9: Sign in the space provided in the acknowledgement receipt and attach necessary documents if you have not uploaded them in online.
Step 10: If you have not made payment in online, attach the DD/cheque along with the acknowledgement receipt and post it to the address given in the acknowledgement receipt.
Step 11: The PAN card will be dispatched within 21 working days from the date of receiving the acknowledgement receipt.
What is the procedure for NRI PAN Application Payment?
- For communication address within India, you need to pay Rs. 107 and for communication address outside India, you need to pay Rs. 1017.
- You can make payment via demand draft/ credit card/ debit card/ net banking.
- To make payment via demand draft, the DD should be drawn in favour of NSDL-PAN payable at Mumbai.
- At present, foreign credit cards are not accepted to make payment.
- Currently, the payment facility is available only for 105 countries as mentioned in the NSDL website.
How to send acknowledgement receipt to NSDL?
- The acknowledgement receipt along with the supporting documents and demand draft should be sent to NSDL via post to the following address.
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
National Securities Depository Limited,
3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers,
Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner, Pune - 411045.
- The envelope containing the acknowledgment receipt should be superscribed as 'APPLICATION FOR PAN - Your 15-digit Acknowledgement No.'
- The envelope should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of submission of online application.
- The PAN application will be processed only after receiving valid proofs which confirms the payment through DD/cheque.
NSDL Contact details:
In case you face any issues regarding PAN application, you can contact NSDL in any one of the following modes.
PAN Call Centre: You can make a call to 020-27218080.
SMS: Type 'NSDLPAN (space) 15-digit acknowledgement number' and send it to 57575 to know application status.
Email ID: You can send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: You can write to 'Income Tax PAN Services Unit (Managed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited), 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune-411 016'.
What are the do's and don'ts while filling PAN Application Form?
- Do fill the application form in capital letters in English with black ink.
- Do provide correct AO code in the application form.
- Do put your signature within the box.
- Do mention your complete postal address with landmark in the application form.
- Do mention your pin code correctly in the address field.
- Do mention your email id or telephone number in the application form.
- Do provide details of Representative Assessee in column 14 of the application form, if the applicant is minor or deceased.
- If Representative Assessee is appointed, do provide documents of proof of identity and address for Representative Assessee also.
- Do check whether the details provided in the application form matches with the proof of address, proof of identity and proof of date of birth.
- Do not overwrite or make any corrections in the application form.
- Do not apply for a new PAN card if you already have it.
- Do not use initials or abbreviate your name.
- Do not mention your Husband's name in Father's name field.
- Do not provide proof of identity and address which are not in the applicant's name.
- Do not write any details with signature in the box.
- Do not staple or pin the photograph.